MC Squared Energy Services, LLC (mc2) is the only vendor endorsed by the Village of Deerfield. Any solicitor who comes to your door or calls asking you to switch to a new supplier is not associated with Deerfield’s Electric Aggregation Program, mc2 or ComEd.
Marketers may visit your home or call you with the goal of switching you to a different electricity supplier. Some of these marketers may be aggressive and may misrepresent themselves to you, offering a “utility rebate program” that could result in your electricity supply being priced much higher than the ComEd rate after a short-term “teaser” rate. The Illinois Attorney General recently negotiated a $2.65 million settlement with a retail energy marketing company based in part on allegations of aggressive marketing claims.
Here are some simple steps that you can take to avoid becoming a victim of an energy scam:
- Do not give your ComEd bill to anyone at your door.
- Do not tell anyone your ComEd account number at the door or by phone.
- Don’t say “yes” to a marketer calling, even if they ask you if this is your name or any other similar question.
- Call the police if you think someone is trying to scam you.
- Do not be pressured. Just shut the door or hang up!
Place a “No Solicitors Invited” sign on your door.