Village of Deerfield

Kates Road Bridge Closed to Traffic Following Bridge Inspection

Effective immediately, the Kates Road Bridge is closed to all vehicular traffic following an inspection that found the bridge to be structurally deficient. The bridge, which is slated for a full reconstruction this summer, has been receiving frequent inspections by structural engineers due to its deteriorating condition. An inspection this week found cracks on the underside of the bridge that reduced its sufficiency rating. On the advice of the Illinois Department of Transportation, the bridge has been closed in the interest of public safety. The bridge remains safe for pedestrian use, so the sidewalk will stay open.

Until the bridge reopens, traffic will be routed around the bridge using Lake Cook Road and Waukegan Road. Northbound traffic at Pfingsten/Kates Road will be detoured using eastbound Lake Cook Road to northbound Waukegan Road. Southbound traffic will be detoured using southbound Waukegan Road to westbound Lake Cook Road. See the detour map for more information.
On March 20, the Village Board awarded the contract to fully reconstruct the bridge to Lorig Construction Company in an amount of $2.01 million. The scope of work for the project is bridge deck replacement, grind and resurface Pfingsten/Kates Road between Lake Cook Road and Waukegan Road, repair any pavement failures, minor drainage improvements, and modernization of the traffic signal at Kates Road and Corporate 500 Drive. The project was approved earlier this year for federal funding that will cover 80 percent of construction costs, while the Village will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. 

Released by the Village Manager’s Office                                     
Contact: David Fitzgerald, Management Analyst

Kates Road Bridge Closure Detour
Powered by CivicSend - A product of CivicPlus