Building & Code Enforcement Division
The Building and Code Enforcement Division of the Community Development Department ensures timely review and issuance of permits, inspection services and uniform enforcement of all Village ordinances, codes and regulations relating to new construction of buildings and structures including improvements and repair, alteration and demolition of existing buildings and structures.
Policy and procedure changes include the following:
- Implementation of Ordinance 0-09-09, Section 6-9.2 regarding default penalties for failure to comply with construction time limits. Effective January 1, 2018.
- Amendment to Work Without Permit penalty. The new Work Without Permit penalty will be calculated as 2 times the base building permitting fee to be no less than $300 and no greater than $1000. Effective November 1, 2019.
Important Electrical Licensing Update: Effective January 1, 2022, the Village of Deerfield will NO LONGER be renewing electrical licenses that were originally issued through the Village. Impacted electricians will need to test for a new license at a participating Municipality.
In addition, the Village of Deerfield will require Electrical contractor registration. The document and requirements can be found under Permit Applications and Forms.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request - Building Permits / Land Use Records
Access our online request form, or our print version (PDF).
International Code Rules
In order to sustain a long-term investment in the community, the Village of Deerfield has adopted building codes published by the International Code Council along with other ordinances and development standards. These standards have been adopted to protect the general public, businesses, and property owners of the community and to ensure public safety and welfare throughout the Village. The following building codes have been adopted by ordinance:
The Village of Deerfield Adopted the 2018 International Codes, which are published by the International Code Council (ICC) and the 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC) Administered by the NFPA. Effective October 1, 2019, the Building Division will perform plan reviews and code interpretations using these updated codes. Contact the Community Development Department at 847-719-7484 if additional information is needed.
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2021 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC)
The Building Division is instrumental in coordinating with other Village departments in the implementation of projects throughout the Village. The department also issues contractors licenses and semi-annual elevator inspection certificates. In addition, staff provides assistance to the Board of Building Appeals, Board of Zoning Appeals, Electrical Commission and other commissions as requested.